City Mapper is an amazing and very popular journey planner that provides the most efficient information on how to get from A to B while in the capital. Transport in London can sometimes be a nightmare, but with a detailed breakdown of transport options, routes and prices, the site does all the hard work for you. All that’s left down to you is choosing how quickly and at what price you want to arrive at your destination. The app has won several awards including the Best Overall Mobile App 2014 at the Mobile World Congress GSMA. The only downside is the minimal contact information in case you need assistance, and the sometimes confusing layout.
- Modern, colourful website
- Map feature presents you with best value route and means of getting to your destination
- Shows current prices for all transport options, as well as estimated petrol cost
- Has predicted times so that you can plan your route accordingly
- Routes by foot, bicycle, car and rail
- Search suggestions to help you find exactly what you’re looking for
- City Mapper App available on Google Play and App Store
- Twitter and Facebook pages for constant updates
- Can print route as well as send the destination to your phone
- Meet Me Somewhere feature allows you to send directions to family and friends
- Continuous rail and tube updates to prevent you getting stuck on your way to work
- The app serves several big cities around the world such as London, New York, Paris, Berlin, Washington DC, Madrid, Boston, Barcelona, Chicago and more
- Contact information is minimal, with the only option available to leave a message
- Site can be difficult to navigate at first
- Don’t forget to make an account to benefit from a personalised dashboard, the ability to sync to your phone, and back up your data
- If you’re walking or cycling, always take advantage of the calorie counter feature to work out exactly how many you’re burning off!
- Share the site with all your friends and family with the easy Twitter and Facebook sharing widgets
Whether you’re at home or on the go, City Mapper can help due to its capability on multiple platforms. For all you BrokeinLondoner’s who still aren’t quite sure on the quickest, easiest, or more importantly cheapest ways to get to where you’re going, the site will soon set you straight.
Go back to our Cheap Train Tickets category for more tips and advice on how to get around London on a budget