Short days, long films
by Afroditi K. (follow her on Twitter: @foustoon)
February is all about variety and trying to forget the low temperatures and that spending time indoors is kind of a forced choice! This month’s free film screenings take place in cool bars like The Book Club, your favourite local pubs such as the Garrison in Bermondsey and the Duke’s Head in Putney and quirky restaurants like the Big Red (the double-decker red bus parked in Deptford).
It is Valentine’s Day soon so it’s no surprise that our list includes Woody Allen classics (every Wednesday in the Big Red), this year’s feel-good film About Time and a vintage romantic story (Girl Shy). However, you will also find some controversial (Shame) and thought-provoking films in there including a BAFTA nominated short film (Orbit Ever After).
Click on the titles below for more information on venues and times. Most of the films have a free entrance (as per usual we will let you know in the brackets when it’s not the case) but for some of them you will need to book your place in advance. So hurry up!
- Monday 3rd – Soylent Green | The Alibi | Dalston
- Wednesday 5th – Manhattan | Big Red | Deptford
- Thursday 6th – Barbara | UCL European Institute | Bloomsbury
- Friday 7th – Sunshine on Leith | The Woolwich Grand Theatre | Woolwich (£3)
- Saturday 8th – Shrek | Big Red | Deptford
- Sunday 9th – Dogtown and Z-Boys | The Garrison | Bermondsey
- Monday 10th – You are next | The Alibi | Dalston
- Tuesday 11th – Behind the Candelabra | Hale End Library | Highams Park
- Wednesday 12th – The Birthday Party | The Book Club | Shoreditch
- Thursday 13th – Milk | Unite the Union | Holborn
- Friday 14th – The Third Man | Birkbeck Cinema | 43 Gordon Square
- Saturday 15th – Greek Documentary Screenings | Hellenic Centre | Marylebone
- Sunday 16th – About Time | Duke’s Head Putney | Putney
- Monday 17th – Angry Drummers: A Taiko Group from Naniwa, Osaka, Japan | Goldsmiths | New Cross
- Tuesday 18th – London Lives | Upstairs at the Ritzy | Brixton Oval
- Wednesday 19th – Orbit Ever After | Wired | Soho
- Thursday 20th – Shame | Hitchcock Cinema, Arts One | Mile End
- Sunday 23rd – Girl Shy + The Dead | The Tea House Theatre | Vauxhall
- Monday 24th – Surprise Film by The Duke Mitchell Film Club| Phoenix Artist Club | Tottenham Court Road
- Wednesday 26th – The Crash Reel | Montpellier Back Room | Pekcham Rye (£3.5)
You may also want to check our Tips for Cheap Cinema in London.