Dry January: swap a drink for a film
by Afro (follow her on Twitter: @graphiclondoner)
With holidays just off our backs and the Christmas decorations still up for some of us, it looks like the majority of Londoners are resolute on a dry January. We know it’s hard that’s why our cure is a film for every day you successfully stay away from that awesome cocktail!
Despite the popular belief that January is a bad month for films – we have collected the best free films in the city to help your debit cards breathe and your mood survive the PHD (post-holiday depression) syndrome.
The highlight of the month is the hidden gem of Sands Film Studio in Rotherhithe which I visited back in December. Their atmospheric space gets filled up quickly though so you’ll need to reserve your seat!
P.S. Like always, click on the titles for more information on venues and times. Most of the films are free entry (check brackets for when that’s not the case) but for some of them you will need to book your place in advance so hurry up!
- Wednesday 7th – Delicatessen | Mycenae Community Cinema | Blackheath
- Thursday 8th – Koko – A Talking Gorilla | Sands Film Club | Rotherhithe
- Sunday 11th – NAS: TIME IS ILLMATIC | Montpellier Back Room Cinema | Peckham (£3.95)
- Monday 12th – Lost Highway | The Alibi | Dalston
- Tuesday 13th – La Passion de Jeanne d’Arc | King’s College London | Temple
- Monday 19th – Moon | The Roebuck | Borough
- Tuesday 20th – Winter’s Bone | Bar Paragon | Stepney Green
- Tuesday 20th – Moving Pictures | Rich Mix | Shoreditch
- Thursday 22nd – Nightwatching | UCL Art Museum | Euston Square
- Monday 26th – The Hidden | The Alibi | Dalston
- Monday 26th – Street Wars | Duke Mitchell Film Club | Tottenham Court Road
- Tuesday 27th – The Jester’s Tale | Sands Film Club | Rotherhithe
- Wednesday 28th – Race to Nowhere | The Truscott Arms | Warwick Avenue
- Thursday 29th – Silver Linings Playbook | The New Black Film Collective | Stratford
- Saturday 31st – The Red Balloon | Birkbeck Cinema | 43 Gordon Square
You may also want to check out the Top 10 free events in London in January 2015.