Bring it on, spring!
by Afro (follow her on Twitter: @foustoon)
As the rest of the world gears up for spring, this column is doing the same. We’ve scoured the internet to bring you April’s most exciting options!
I am a big fan of Dame Angela Lansbury. Like a giant fan of hers. So, I jumped up and down when I realised that a. my house last year was a stone’s throw away from where she grew up in Poplar and b. Poplar Film is holding a 2-day event in Chrisp Street Market to honour her. They are showcasing some of the best movies of her career (including Bedknobs and Broomsticks). A pillow fight kicks off this festival on Saturday5thApril, so come equipped and let the fun war begin!
The Short Sighted Cinema folks are organising their 6thevent in the same cool place in Brixton (Upstairs at the Ritzy). I actually attended the one before that (and I also wrote a review about the night) and take my word for it and just go. All of the short films are carefully selected and you get to meet the directors afterwards and gain some insight into what inspired each story (or what they do for a living apart from creating art). And also the place is just awesome!
OK, that’s all from us for now – study the list below, find a film that you like and get ready for some adventures, peeps!
P.S. As per the usual, click on the titles for more information on venues and times. Most of the films have a free admission (check brackets when it’s not the case) but for some of them you will need to book your place in advance.
- Tuesday 1st – Top Gun | The Big Chill House | King’s Cross (£3 – but free drink and popcorn on arrival!)
- Wednesday 2nd – WHIRLYGIG CINEMA’S SPOTLIGHT: MUSIC VIDEOS | Hackney Attic | Hackney
- Friday 4th – Blue Jasmine | Woolwich Grand Theatre | Woolwich (£3)
- Sunday 6th – Bedknobs and Broomsticks/ Nanny McPhee | Chrisp Street Market | Poplar
- Tuesday 8th – Sorcerer | Left Hand Billy | Tufnell Park
- Wednesday 9th – Student Film Special | Cannes in a Van | Shoreditch (£3)
- Friday 11th – The best exotic Marigold hotel | Departure | Limehouse
- Sunday 13th – The butler | Duke’s Head | Putney
- Tuesday 15th – More India | Sands Films Cinema Club | Rotherhithe
- Wednesday 16th – The Big Parade | Hale End Library | Highams Park
- Thursday 17th – Jananne Al-Ani’s The Visit | Hayward Gallery | Southabank
- Tuesday 22nd – LOST | Short Sighted Cinema | Upstairs at Ritzy Brixton (£3)
- Wednesday 23rd – Peeping Tom | Austrian Cultural Forum | Knightsbridge
- Sunday 27th – Philomena | Duke’s Head | Putney
- Monday 28th – Surprise Film! | Phoenix Artist Club | Tottenham Court Road
- Tuesday 29th – Paths of Glory | Sands Films Cinema Club | Rotherhithe (a Stanley Kubrick classic!)
- Wednesday 30th – Shorts from the Shashat collection in Palestine | Goldsmiths | New Cross
You may also want to check our Tips for Cheap Cinema in London