Fall in love…with a film
by Afro (follow her on Twitter: @graphiclondoner)
I have often wondered why Valentine’s Day falls in the middle of February. I am sure there is a logical explanation but my alternative theory goes like this: February is the heart of winter and the only way to survive those short, grey days is the feeling of love! And what can be better than a love film that can be enjoyed regardless of your Facebook relationship status?
Now here comes a common fact: French know about love and so does Woody Allen (you can dispute that as much as you like!). Therefore there is no wonder that you’ll find a bit of both in February’s film list.
This month’s highlight seems to be Roxy Bar where you will find the super appealing offer of a meal and a film for only £12. Did someone shout ‘first date’?
PS. Like always, click on the titles for more information on venues and times. Most of the films have a free entrance (check brackets when it’s not the case) but for some of them you will need to book your place in advance so hurry up!
- Sunday 1st– Life Itself | Montpellier Back Room Cinema | Peckham (£3.95)
- Monday 2nd – Hiroshima Mon Amour | Movie Mondays Upstairs @ The Roebuck | Borough
- Tuesday 3rd – Sous Les Toits de Paris | Sands Film Club | Rotherhithe
- Wednesday 4th – Magic in the Moonlight | The Roxy Bar & Screen | Borough (£4 or £12 with a meal)
- Friday 6th – USSR Now | Birkbeck Cinema | 43 Gordon Square
- Saturday 7th – Flame and Citron | The Artfix | Oxford Street
- Sunday 8th – The Riot Club | The Roxy Bar & Screen | Borough (£4 or £12 with a meal)
- Monday 9th – Raising Arizona | The Alibi | Dalston
- Tuesday 10th – La Chienne | Sands Film Club | Rotherhithe
- Monday 16th – How to Train Your Dragon 2 | North Chingford Library | Chingford
- Tuesday 17th – Pride | Amnesty International UK | Shoreditch
- Thursday 19th – Solaris | Zabludowicz Collection Gallery | Chalk Farm
- Saturday 21st – Codebreaker | The British Museum | Great Russel Street
- Monday 23rd – Near Dark | The Alibi | Dalston
- Tuesday 24th – Love Shorts | The Book Club | Shoreditch
- Wednesday 25th – Afghan Star | Sands Film Club | Rotherhithe
Till next month, may love come your way!
You may also want to check out the Best Free festivals in London in 2015.