Happy summer y’all!
by Afro (follow her on Twitter: @foustoon)
It’s the first day of June as these words are being written and the sky is blue and the sun is shining. I know it is probably not going to last that long; on the other hand it does not harm to start making some plans for June and enjoy the extended daytime. I like planning my evenings and weekends in advance so that I have something to anticipate during those looong working hours.
I really struggled to make my list of free screenings this month. Vauxhall Village Summer season kicks off this Tuesday. You can read more about this free pop-up series and check out the full list of movies here.
Short sighted Cinema plan their monthly event. We attended one a couple of months ago and totally recommend it! Birkbeck cinema folks continue their spotlight on Theo Angelopoulos with Eternity and a Day.
p.s As per the usual, click on the titles for more information on venues and times. Most of the films have a free entrance (check brackets when it’s not the case) but for some of them you will need to book your place in advance.
- Monday 2nd – The Red Shoes | Alibi | Dalston
- Tuesday 3rd – Best in show | Vauxhall Village Summer Screen | Vauxhall
- Wednesday 4th – LOL – Sound Of Laughter – 7 Short Films | Café 1001 | Bricklane
- Thursday 5th – It’s been emotional’: La Signora di Tutti | Hitchcock Cinema, Arts One | Mile End
- Friday 6th – The Trial | Birkbeck Cinema | 43 Gordon Square
- Saturday 7th – A Dog’s Life (Chaplin 1918) | Sands Films Cinema Club | Rotherhithe
- Sunday 8th – DALLAS BUYERS CLUB | Duke’s Head | Putney
- Tuesday 10th – Mean Girls | Vauxhall Village Summer Screen | Vauxhall
- Wednesday 11th – The Irish Pub | MontPellier Back Room | Peckham Rye (£3.5)
- Friday 13th – Eternity and a Day | Birkbeck Cinema | 43 Gordon Square
- Sunday 15th – RUSH | Duke’s Head | Putney
- Monday 16th – Bluebeard | Alibi | Dalston
- Tuesday 17th – #FAIL | Short Sighted Cinema @Ritzy | Brixton (£3)
- Thursday 19th – Xena: Warrior Princess ‘Hooves and Harlots’ | Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology | Euston Square
- Friday 20th – Nebraska | Departure | Limehouse
- Sunday 22nd – Psycho | The Garrison | Bermondsey
- Monday 23rd– Warlock | Alibi | Dalston
- Tuesday 24th – Wise Blood | Sands Films Cinema Club | Rotherhithe
- Friday 27th – Melancholia | Departure | Limehouse
- Sunday 29th – Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! | Tea House Theatre | Vauxhall
- Monday 30th – The Duke Mitchell Film Club | Phoenix Artist Club | Tottenham Court Road
You may also want to check our post about London’s Best Open Air Cinemas.