This article may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on a link we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
Free films and the mulled-wine-effect explained
monthly column by Afroditi K.
I have this theory; can you help me validate it? My theory is that there is a “mulled-wine-effect” spreading around this time of the year. There is something about warm alcohol and the smell of orange and cinnamon in the air that beats this month’s cold temperatures and makes you think of Christmas holidays approaching. So how about a film and a warm cup of mulled wine in your hands for December? Stay warm inside, avoid the crowds in Oxford Street and choose one of the best free films in London that we suggest below. There are some real gems in there such as a pedal-powered family favourite “Home Alone” in Hackney or a movie about mummies and curses right in the middle of Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology on Friday the 13th – mummies, curses and Friday the 13th! The question is, are you brave enough?
Click on the titles below for more information on venues and times. Most of the films have a free entrance (as per usual we will let you know in the brackets when it’s not the case) but for some of them you will need to book your place in advance.
- Sunday 1st – The Great Gatsby | Duke’s Head | Putney
- Monday 2nd – Zombie Flesh Eaters | The Alibi Film Club | Dalston
- Wednesday 4th – Mary and Max | LSE | Aldwych
- Friday 6th – House on Trubnaya Square | Birkbeck Cinema | 41 Gordon Square
- Saturday 7th – Hitchcock’s Rear Window | Love Your High Street | Leyton
- Sunday 8th – Goodbye Lenin | Royal Festival Hall | Southbank
- Monday 9th – Plan 9 from Outer Space | The Alibi Film Club | Dalston
- Tuesday 10th – Die Hard | Genesis Cinema | Stepney Green
- Thursday 12th – Four short films from Namibia (My beautiful Nightmare, Dead river, 100 Bucks, Try) | Harecourt United Reformed Church | Islington
- Friday 13th – Les Aventures Extraordinaires d’Adele Blanc-Sec | The Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology | UCL (£5 donation for yourself plus one guest)
- Saturday 14th – Hora Chilena (Chilean Time) | Amnesty International | Shoreditch
- Sunday 15th – Limelight Film Nights | Limehouse
- Monday 16th – Bloody Pit of Horror | The Alibi Film Club | Dalston
- Tuesday 18th – Home Alone | Saint John-at-Hackney Church | Hackney
- Monday 23rd – Night of the Demon | The Alibi Film Club | Dalston
- Monday 30th – Repulsion | The Alibi Film Club | Dalston
Find more interesting free stuff to do in London through our Free Entertainment Section.
Read more posts by Afroditi.