Happy summer y’all!
by Afro (follow her on Twitter: @foustoon)
I realised recently that my friend Jo actually reads these posts I am writing. Not only does she read them, she also visited one of the places suggested in this list – which caused a small harrumph! – when she told me on Skype the other day. Anyway, the point is: if you are like my friend Jo, I am sure you would like to go to Slumdog Millionaire next Tuesday, especially as there will be Bollywood workshops before the open-air cinema!
Alternatively, head down to Blackheath on the 9th to watch a film (On the Waterfront) with Marlon Brando and understand why your mum and grandma were so obsessed with him. And if you live close to Southwark, your local library organises a movie night on the 16th which sounds extra intriguing so check it out! If non of the above floats your boat, then check all the other oper- air cinema options available out there.
PS: As per the usual, click on the titles for more information on venues and times. Most of the films have a free entrance (check brackets when it’s not the case) but for some of them you will need to book your place in advance.
- Monday 7th – In a Lonely Place | Birkbeck Cinema | 43 Gordon Square
- Tuesday 8th – Slumdog Millionaire | Vauxhall Summer Screens | Vauxhall
- Wednesday 9th – On the Waterfront | Mycenae Community Cinema | Blackheath
- Thursday 10th – Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos | Kemistry Gallery | Shoreditch
- Friday 11th – Girl with a Pearl Earring | Departure | Limehouse
- Monday 14th – Dawn of the Dead | Alibi | Dalston
- Tuesday 15th – Point Break | Genesis Cinema | Mile End
- Wednesday 16th – Movie night | Southwark Library | Southwark
- Friday 18th – Senna | Departure | Limehouse
- Monday 21st – Dr Strangelove | Alibi | Dalston
- Tuesday 22nd – Short Sighted Cinema: RETRO | Ritzy | Brixton
- Thursday 24th – INTRANSIT 2014 SCREENINGS | Portobello Pop-Up Cinema | Acklam Village
- Friday 25th – Dead Man | Departure | Limehouse
- Sunday 27th – Sorcerer | Tea House Theatre | Vauxhall + Nostalgia | Zabludowicz Collection | Mayfair
- Monday 28th – The Duke Mitchell Film Club | Phoenix Artist Club | Tottenham Court Road
- Wednesday 30th – Marmalade Me | The South London Gallery | Peckham
You may also want to check how to Get Free Cinema Tickets in London.